Unreal Engine commercial game deployment guidelines
If you're using Unreal Engine, here's what needs to happen when you're ready to release your game or other interactive off-the-shelf product. There are a few simple steps to remember.
Notification of release
You're almost ready to ship your product and begin collecting revenue? Excellent, congratulations! When the time comes to release your title, please fill out and submit this form and tell us a little about yourself and your game.
Product checklist prior to shipping your product
- Write a EULA for your product that explicitly disclaims any representations, warranties, conditions, and liabilities related to the Unreal Engine. Some example language can be found here.
- Review any licenses agreements of third-party software your product uses and provide notice to your end users if required.
- Add the following to your product credits: “[Product Name] uses Unreal® Engine. Unreal® is a trademark or registered trademark of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. Unreal® Engine, Copyright 1998 – xxxx, Epic Games, Inc. All rights reserved.”
- If using Unreal-related trademarks in or on your product, or for the marketing of your product, obtain a license from our branding guidelines and trademark usage page. Check out the style guide to ensure you're in compliance with Unreal Engine brand standards.
- Ensure that your product:
- Complies with all applicable laws, regulations, and rules.
- Doesn’t combine the Unreal Engine code with “Copyleft” open-source licenses. See the FAQ for more details.
- Doesn’t contain the Unreal Engine editor or tools—or an editor or tools based on the Unreal Engine editor or tools—if shipped to the general public (rather than just other engine licensees). If you wish to release a mod editor for your game, please contact your Epic account rep.
Royalty payment and tracking
Once you've begun collecting money for your product, you'll need to track gross revenue and pay a 5% royalty on that amount after the first $3,000 per product per calendar quarter. To report your earnings, complete and submit this form.