Colliding objects offer a prime opportunity to explore the laws of physics. Fortnite Creative features collisions, making it an excellent way to experiment with the basic principles of physics, including Newton’s third Law.
Exactly how well do the physics in Fortnite replicate those found in real life? Do the game’s physics support Newton’s third law regarding the forces of action and reaction? Let’s find out!
In this lesson, students will design an experiment to manipulate objects, measure object interactions, and draw conclusions about Newton’s third law by bashing objects together.
During the process, they will:
- Design a solution to a problem.
- Model interactions before and after a collision.
- Collect evidence and make claims based on evidence.
- Compare and contrast real-world and video game physics.
Let’s start smashing!
Students will be able to:
- Design a controlled experiment.
- Describe collisions in terms of Newton’s third and second laws.
- Make predictions about motion resulting from collisions.
- Run an experiment in Fortnite Creative.
- Analyze data.
Grade 8 (Ages 13+)
Explore more lesson plans