Following the ground-breaking presentation during GDC, the development teams from Epic Games, The Mill and Arraiy provided an up close look at the key technologies that were created, developed and used during the production of The Human Race real-time short film, as presented during the “State of Unreal” opening session.
In the above presentaiton, the team dives into technical details on five major areas of development:
- Using The Mill’s Blackbird during live-action production
- How The Mill’s Cyclops virtual production AR toolset was created to overcome typical challenges faced during VFX-heavy projects, including a live on-stage AR demonstration combining Cyclops, Unreal and the Blackbird
- Overview of the Real-Time Look Development Process used to create the Chevrolet 2017 Camaro ZL1 and FNR concept vehicle in Unreal
- Live demo of newly developed Unreal Engine Sequencer features, including dynamic HDR image-based-lighting, film-quality .exr support, and compositing operations
- Behind-the-scenes look at how Niagara, an experimental protoype particle fx system being developed for Unreal, was used to create the signature FX during the film’s tunnel sequence
Kim Libreri, CTO, Epic Games, Inc.
Angus Kneale, Chief Creative Officer, The Mill
Joji Tsuruga, Real Time Supervisor, The Mill
Eric Renaud-Houde, Creative Developer, The Mill
Jimmy Gass, FX Artist, The Mill
Ethan Rublee, Co-founder & CEO, Arraiy
Michael Gay, Director of Cinematic Production, Epic Games, Inc.
Francois Antoine, Visualization Technology Manager, Unreal Engine Enterprise, Epic Games, Inc.
For a complete rundown of the technologies and innovations on display during this year's 'State of Unreal' presentation during GDC 2017, head here.
The first preview for Unreal Engine 4.19 is now available for download o...