Materials and Real-time Shaders
Experience a powerful visual interface comparable to the non-real time functionality of XSI and Maya, enabling artists to create complex real-time shaders on the fly.
Unreal Engine 3 comes equipped with a powerful material system, complete with a visual interface comparable to the non-real-time functionality provided by XSI and Maya, so you can create arbitrarily complex real-time shaders on the fly.
- Modular material framework.
- Add new material shader programs.
- Connect shader components to other components on the fly, resulting in dynamic composition and compilation of shader code.
- Cross-platform material shader generation.
- Automatic optimization of generated shaders.
- Unconstrained material attributes evaluated per-pixel.
- Material instances, allowing the same material to be reused with different parameters.
- Static switches.
- Template materials reduce artist workload.
- Automatic or user-defined fallback materials for scalability.
- Unreal Engine 3 supports Full-Scene Anti-aliasing through hardware MSAA (Direct3D 11 only).
- Render realistic human skin by using Screen Space Subsurface Scattering (Direct3D 11 only).