Complete Editing Environment
Unreal Engine 3 offers a fully integrated editing environment through the renowned Unreal Editor. All of the engine’s key tools are accessible through UnrealEd. The new Unreal Content Browser makes managing assets like meshes, materials, sounds, and animations easier than ever.
The Unreal Editor
UnrealEd’s power is readily available and easily accessed. It gives you everything you need to build your world in record time. Our game editor gives you everything you need to build your world in record time.
UnrealEd features the following tools:
- Unreal Content Browser, a powerful asset browser for organizing your game content, including instant game-wide asset search, a robust content tagging system and drag-and-drop actor placement. Easily scales from small projects to AAA titles.
- Fast Game Preview. Play your game right inside the game editor with a single mouse click!
- Accurate Graphics. The editor renders your levels the same way the game will, so it’s truly “What You See Is What You Get”.
- Unreal Kismet, a world-class visual scripting language for games.
- Unreal Matinee, a scene animation tool that brings your game to life, and allows you to create in-game cinematics.
- Material Editor, an intuitive tool for visually designing materials and shaders using a graph network.
- Mesh Painting. Use customizable brush tools to paint material effects right into your scenes.
- Unreal Cascade, an advanced particle physics and environmental effects editor.
- Instant Lighting Preview. Lighting and shadows are previewed in real-time as you manipulate objects, so you can preview your scene immediately.
- Level Construction tools, including geometry editing features and BSP-based model creation.
- Autodesk FBX importer for meshes, animations, morph targets, materials, and more.
- Animation Editors, for configuring skeletal animation behavior, designing complex animation states, and binding them to in-game events such as sounds and script notifications.
- Unreal Facade, a visual design tool for creating buildings and other architecture.
- Performance and Memory optimization tools. Unreal’s game editor includes many proven tools for optimizing content and tracking performance bottlenecks, including render view modes, scene statistic browser and dozens of ‘commandlet’ tools for maintenance and metrics.
- Unreal PhAT, the Physics Asset Tool for creating physical rigs for characters and objects (e.g. ragdolls).
- FaceFX Studio, a full-featured facial animation tool set.
- Level Manager, for designing huge seamless worlds made up of many sub-levels.
- Mesh Editor, for previewing meshes and adjusting physics properties. Also includes support for simplification of meshes, generating LODs and texture coordinates and fracturing objects.
- Scene Browser helps you keep track of your level’s content and quickly locate and edit actors.
- Terrain Editor, a landscape design tool. Supports sculpting and painting of alpha layers onto terrain to control blending and decoration, collision data and displacement maps.
- SpeedTree Editor, the world-class scenery design tools, integrated into UE3.
- Archetypes and Prefabs, allowing artists to create custom object templates and groups of content objects.
- Scaleform GFx Importer, for building beautifully interactive user interfaces
- Sound Editor, for sequencing audio events and adjusting sound properties.
- Attachment Editor allows you to visualize and modify object relationships in a graph.
- Texture Editor with image adjustment tools, such contrast/vibrance, and mip map sharpening
- Group Editor allows you to organize your scene into convenient layers
- Post-process editor, for chaining together after-effects such as motion blur and depth of field
- Reference Graph viewer, to keep track of your level’s asset dependencies automatically.