Work with a dynamically deformable base height map extended by multiple layers of smoothly blended materials. Then layer on procedural weathering, such as grass and vegetation or the snow on mountain peaks.
Unreal Engine 3’s terrain system, Landscape lets you easily create vast, realistic looking outdoor environments.
With Landscape’s advanced editing tools it’s fun and easy to build compelling levels and worlds.
- Advanced streaming and LOD system allows huge terrain sizes
- Uses a continuous LOD system that transitions seamlessly while moving through the terrain, without any sudden popping.
- High-resolution data is streamed in and out of memory, so data is always loaded at the resolution it’s needed. Very distant regions of terrain remain visible and rendered with the highest quality lighting and materials, while occupying only the minimum amount of memory.
- Powerful landscape editing tools for realistic environments
- With a sweep of your mouse, or using a tablet with pen pressure sensitivity, Landscape’s palette of tool and brush types makes painting and sculpting the terrain a quick and intuitive task.
- Advanced thermal and hydraulic erosion brushes use a physical weather simulation to quickly create realistic, weathered looking mountains from smooth hills.
- Advanced artist-controlled materials, layers and lighting effects
- Unreal’s landscape editor allows the artist to leverage the power of the Unreal Engine 3’s advanced node-based material system to generate unique and optimized shaders.
- A multitude of layers can be created within the material, and the artist can then quickly and easily paint individual layers wherever they like on the landscape.
- Advanced DirectX 11 features such as tessellation and displacement mapping can be added to terrain layers to add extra detail to the surface of the terrain.